Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Traveller In A Distant Land.

Doing a food experiment on your body is like travelling.

Your wake up; your routine is disrupted- the regular, comfortable go-tos of your daily life aren't present. No tea or coffee in the morning, or the smell of toast or oatmeal. Instead, the whirr of the juicer and blender and the heady smell of fresh oranges, watermelon, pears and strawberries.

Everything is novel and exotic. Food aisles rarely travelled are stalked, list in hand, like the lesser trod roads of a distant city. In part because of it's newness, the change of routine is exciting and fun. Some people aren't meant to travel, don't enjoy the occasional discomforts or inconveniences that this exploration brings as part of it's very nature. It's easy to miss a favourite meal, or a regular haunt where your drink of choice is known by the bartender in advance.

after all, comfort is...comfortable.

But if you've chosen to take the leap, buy the ticket and land in Parts Unknown-well, then. You'll be back home soon enough, but for now; time to go exploring.

Personally, what I miss is curry. I'm pretty good at cooking Indian food and in the cold weather, I'd be lying if I wouldn't like a huge bowl of lentil and cauliflower curry...

and because my boyfriend is psychic, when I woke up today, he suggested we make this. and this.

gourmet raw food being what it is, I suspect we'll be eating it tomorrow (or having a midnight feast!) but for now, grocery list in hand, and dehydrator at the ready, I can't wait to go adventuring.

And for now, pass the bananas.


4 comments:

  1. I've always been curious about raw foodies. It's something I'd love to incorporate into my diet more, but I'm too lazy. All your delicious recipes are really inspiring though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly, you can eat very, very simply on a raw diet- you *can* spend hours blending and pureeing in the kitchen, or you can sit down very happily with some pre-made raw dips and a huge platter of crudite and munch until you turn green. I made kale chips this afternoon and all the prep time, washing up included, was about 15 minutes. Sure, they sit in the dehydrator for 4 hours- but then my house gets to smell like sour cream and onion chips all afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of food dehydrator do you have? I almost bought an Excalibur last year from Amazon, but wasn't sure if it was a good brand and gave up at the checkout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a dehydrator that was a gift a few years ago- it's Nesco American Harvest, which doesn't even sound like a real thing, but there it is. I haven't done any research independantly but I will very likely be buying a better one this year and passing this one on to someone else. It's plastic, and I"d really like a stainless steel one.

    ReplyDelete